Zurück   TT-NEWS Tischtennis Forum > Regional, National & International > International Table Tennis > international discussion (english speaking) > International Table Tennis Forum
Registrieren Hilfe Kalender

International Table Tennis Forum Table Tennis Forum for general discussions
>> powered by TIBHAR

Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Alt 12.08.2001, 16:03
jpetrovs jpetrovs ist offline
Foren-Neuling

jpetrovs ist zur Zeit noch ein unbeschriebenes Blatt (Renommeepunkte ungefähr beim Startwert +20)
Is Waldner arrogant?

I just read some statements from JO Waldner and there were two statements that caught my attention:

F: Who do you think is the best player in the history of the sport?
W: Me. I am partly joking, but also partly seriously. Table-tennis has a long history. There were great players and there are great players now. It is hard to say who is the best. But in Europe, I think I am the best.

F: Do you think you are a table-tennis genius?
W: Yes, I do have the natural talent. To be a top athlete, you have to be naturally gifted, or else you will never reach the peak. When I was small, I could beat players 4 or 5 years older than me. I always thought that I was talented.

Well what do you think is he arrogant or just very confident ?
Alt 12.08.2001, 16:29
Fabian13 Fabian13 ist offline
registrierter Besucher
Junior-Forenmitglied

Fabian13 ist zur Zeit noch ein unbeschriebenes Blatt (Renommeepunkte ungefähr beim Startwert +20)
I think, he is so great that he can say so things about himself
Alt 12.08.2001, 17:47
Benutzerbild von Flocke
Flocke Flocke ist offline
registrierter Besucher
Foren-Stammgast 1000

Flocke ist zur Zeit noch ein unbeschriebenes Blatt (Renommeepunkte ungefähr beim Startwert +20)
Well, Waldner is such a good player and he has reached so much...I think it´s quit normal, that he´s a little bit proud and confident.
Alt 12.08.2001, 17:59
Dorit Dorit ist offline
DSL-Daueruser
Foren-Stammgast 500

Dorit kommt allgemein ganz gut an (Renommeepunkte mindestens +60)
A lot of people think that he is a genius and the best player so why shouldn't he think it,too?
Alt 12.08.2001, 18:01
Benutzerbild von Flocke
registrierter Besucher
Foren-Stammgast 1000

Flocke ist zur Zeit noch ein unbeschriebenes Blatt (Renommeepunkte ungefähr beim Startwert +20)
Zitat:
Originally posted by Dorit
A lot of people think that he is a genius and the best player so why shouldn't he think it,too?
Exactly

Geändert von Flocke (12.08.2001 um 18:05 Uhr)
Alt 12.08.2001, 19:21
Thorsten Thorsten ist offline
Forenmitglied

Thorsten ist zur Zeit noch ein unbeschriebenes Blatt (Renommeepunkte ungefähr beim Startwert +20)
I find it very odd to call oneself a genius, even if the term applies (which is arguable). If Waldner had the literal meaning of the word genius in mind, he was rightof course, but it usually connotes more than merely exceptional natural ability. A genius has a very profound impact on the their field of expertise (for lack of a better term).
Waldner might be the best tt player ever, just as Micheal Jordan, Pete Sampras, Steffi Graf, Muhammad Ali, etc in their respective sports , but geniuses ?( I have yet to hear Micheal Jordan calling himself a genius).

Saying that you are gifted is confidence, but calling yourself a genius is arrogant.

Thorsten
Alt 13.08.2001, 08:46
Benutzerbild von Flocke
registrierter Besucher
Foren-Stammgast 1000

Zitat:
Originally posted by Thorsten

Saying that you are gifted is confidence, but calling yourself a genius is arrogant.
The Reporter asked him, if he is a TABLE-TENNIS genius.
He didn´t say that he´s a genius in everything he does.
Let´s not attach too much importance to this statement.
He just said:" I do have the natural talent."!!
So, I don´t think Waldner is arrogant.
Alt 13.08.2001, 09:24
Thorsten Thorsten ist offline
Forenmitglied

Thorsten ist zur Zeit noch ein unbeschriebenes Blatt (Renommeepunkte ungefähr beim Startwert +20)
I never said that he claimed to be a genius in everthing he does.

His answer to the question: Do you think you are a table-tennis genius? was yes and in my book that is arrogance (it doesn't matter if this is actually true which I maintain is arguable )

Thorsten
Alt 13.08.2001, 09:45
Benutzerbild von Flocke
registrierter Besucher
Foren-Stammgast 1000

When was the interview made? Perhaps, he wanted to provoke other players by showing with such statements his self-confidence.
What do you think?
Did Waldner say such things before in other interviews? I don´t know.
Alt 13.08.2001, 13:25
jpetrovs jpetrovs ist offline
Foren-Neuling

jpetrovs ist zur Zeit noch ein unbeschriebenes Blatt (Renommeepunkte ungefähr beim Startwert +20)
I do not know the exact date, but it was after the world championships in Osaka. Waldner was in China to promote Pekings application for the olympic games.

I think that self-confidence is very important to win the big titles, especially in an individual sport where you cannot hide behind your teammates.
Antwort

Lesezeichen

« Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »